Daily Revolt

January 15, 2008

Nevada Democratic Presidential Debate 1-15-08

Here's the transcript (some problems with their version) of Tuesday's Nevada Democratic Presidential debate. Also the NY Times has the complete transcript.

Did Obama and Hillary kiss and makeup?:
CLINTON: Well, I think what’s most important is that Senator Obama and I agree completely that, you know, neither race nor gender should be a part of this campaign.

[...]So I very much appreciate what Senator Obama and I did yesterday, which is that we both have exuberance and sometimes uncontrollable supporters; that we need to get this campaign where it should be....We’re all family in the Democratic Party.

[...]OBAMA: Well, I think Hillary said it well. You know, we are, right now, I think, in a defining moment in our history. We’ve got a nation at war. Our planet is in peril. And the economy is putting an enormous strain on working families all across the country.

[...]OBAMA: I think our party has stood for that. Dr. King stood for that. I hope that my campaign has inspired that same sense, that there’s much more that we hold in common than what separates us.

And that is how I want to move this campaign forward and I hope that’s how it moves forward.

What a strange criticism. Williams is equating what Hillary did and Obama did. Sounds like something out of the Clinton playbook:
WILLIAMS: But another given was at the last televised debate, when you, in a comment directed to Senator Clinton, looked down and said, “You’re likable enough, Hillary.”

That caused Frank Rich to write, on the op-ed page of the New York Times, that it was “your most inhuman moment, to date.” And it clearly was a factor and added up.

Senator Obama, do you regret the comment, and comments like that, today?

OBAMA: Well, I absolutely regret it because that wasn’t how it was intended. I mean, folks were giving Hillary a hard time about likability. And my intention was to say, “I think you’re plenty likable.”

This was really tough from Obama, but right on:
I have to say that when Senator Clinton uses the specter of a terrorist attack with a new prime minister during a campaign, I think that is part and parcel with what we’ve seen the use of the fear of terrorism in scoring political points. And I think that’s a mistake. Now, I don’t want to perpetuate that.

Read the entire debate...

Here's an alternative to the same old politics as usual that we are hearing from the candidates.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home