Daily Revolt

November 20, 2007

Bush ABC Interview with Charles Gibson

You have to admire Bush's gall. His job approval is the worst of any President in American history but he acts as if he's King for life. That is what being born into privilege does for you. He is obviously delusional.

When it comes to Musharraf he is lying:
He's also advanced democracy in Pakistan. He has, he has said he's going to take off his uniform, he's said there will be elections. Today he released prisoners, and so far I've found him to be a man of his word.

And the fundamental question I have for President Musharraf is, will these elections be under emergency rule or law, because if they are, it's going to be hard for [...] well, it'll be hard for those of us who, have belief that he's advanced Pakistan's democracy to, to say that's, that's still the case. So, we'll see. Things are unfolding in Pakistan. But he's been a strong ally of the United States, and I certainly hope he succeeds.

[...]I think he truly is somebody who believes in democracy.

We're not interested in Laura's views on Burma. We want to know what Mr.Bush is doing about furthering democracy in that country, especially since he has a lot to say about freedom in Pakistan. That answer is, I guess, is self-evident--nothing is being done:
CHARLES GIBSON: Mrs. Bush, you were very outspoken when the Myanmar situation occurred, and the monks were protesting, and very outspoken about the call for sanctions when they would not tolerate protest. Why is Myanmar and different than Pakistan?

FIRST LADY LAURA BUSH: Well, that isn't my … I can't answer that. I can talk to you about Burma, because that's what I know the most about, and what I've studied the most, and know most about what's going on in those countries.

[...]PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: Yeah, there is a difference in that, Pakistan has been on the road to democracy, Burma hadn't been. And um, I'm real proud of Laura's, she's learned that her voice can be pretty loud in international politics, and has really called the world's attention to the plight of Aung San Suu Kyi and the Burmese people.

Once again, Bush refuses to answer the question about Iran. His military commanders are answering:
CHARLES GIBSON: Let me turn to Iran, Admiral Fallon, the head of CentCom, said in a recent newspaper interview, he said the military strike against Iran is not in the offing. It would be a strategic mistake. Do you agree?

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: I think it's very important for us to pursue our objectives diplomatically. I also know it's important for all options to remain on the table, and they are on the table.

CHARLES GIBSON: Including military?

Just tell the truth: you plan on bombing Iran:
PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: Yes, sir.

CHARLES GIBSON: So he's wrong?

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: As the Commander in Chief, all options are on the table --

CHARLES GIBSON: When he says it's a strategic mistake?

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: My, my objective is to solve this issue diplomatically, and I fully intend to, and I believe we can. But diplomacy is effective when all options are available to a president, and all options are available. No one wants to use military force to achieve any objective. But, but it's important for all parties to understand that, you know, while I'm optimistic we can solve it diplomatically, options are available to the president.

Speaking like a true neocon, or one of their lapdogs:
I might want to comment on what I said about World War III. I said, if you want to avoid World War III. And the reason I said that is because I take the words of their leader very seriously when, for example, he says he wants to destroy Israel. And you know, an attack on Israel, as far as I'm concerned, would draw the United States into a very serious conflagration in the Middle East.

Are you going to get anything done this year? We know the answer:
CHARLES GIBSON: This thing has been going for a year. And, I wonder to what extent it inhibits your ability to get anything done in Washington and to govern.

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: Yeah. I don't think so, I don't -- certainly not on foreign policy. Um …

CHARLES GIBSON: But you're not gonna get immigration done in this year, you're not --

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: No --

CHARLES GIBSON: -- gonna get Social Security reform done --

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: No, I know --

CHARLES GIBSON: -- you're not gonna get health-care reform done because everything is so politicized --

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: We may get some health-care reform done. But you're right, it's, uh, you know, and we're not gonna raise taxes. Unless they can override my vetos.

CHARLES GIBSON: And it's almost impossible to get war funding worked out --

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: We'll get something done on the vets -- oh, we'll get war funding.

CHARLES GIBSON: You will.

PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH: Absolutely.

CHARLES GIBSON: But -- but we're gonna go through all kinds of political handstands --

Charles, are you working for the Clinton campaign? Sounds like it:
CHARLES GIBSON: If a person has an opportunity, in the role of the First Lady to observe the President and what he goes through for eight years…does that experience prepare the person to be president? I—I'm speaking …

FIRST LADY LAURA BUSH: Yes, in the --

CHARLES GIBSON: -- of course in the abstract --

[...]CHARLES GIBSON: So if the First Lady were to run, previous First Lady were to run for President, that that experience is very helpful.

FIRST LADY LAURA BUSH: I think it's very helpful, I mean I think it was very helpful for us to have been … around the White House as much as we were when his parents served there[...]

AddThis Social Bookmark Button